Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Poop and Washing it


The last one for tonight. This full time working mom is super tired and I'm sure my grammar and spelling are suffering. Oh and the pic is to show that sporting a cute birthday shirt and a pink diaper, is completely adorable for cake time on your first birthday party.

My baby was exclusively breastfed until 6/7 months old. Those poopy diapers go right into the diaper pail. I use PlanetWise liner bags. (Always making sure that all Velcro tabs are put in place BEFORE you throw them in the pail.) Every other day( can go a day longer, but this routine helps keep me on a schedule), I empty the diaper bag into the wash and then throw the bag into the wash. I don't touch them :) The liners have always come out of the pockets during the cycle (I have a top loading machine).

When she had formula and solids a diaper sprayer is handy. Mine wasn't that great. Spray the poop and then put in the pail. Most of the time I can "plop" it into the toilet.

I use the Bumgenius detergent. I bought a case on sale and still have 4 boxes left and baby is a year! I wash one cycle cold and then a hot wash with an extra rinse. I usually do a scoop of detergent in each cycle. You may not need to do that for the first wash, but you need it for the second. I skipped the detergent on the second wash and my diaper smelled bad!

I have a few wet bags with zippers from PlanetWise for the diaper bag/church and Weekday School. It's good to have two, one to wash one to "wear" (I use this theory for everything not just diapering).

Hang to dry in the sun when at all possible! It helps get rid of stains, bacteria, smells and yeast.

No comments: